Home » Posts tagged 'technology'
Tag Archives: technology
Two new vulnerabilities have been unocovered within connected devices that allow hackers access to the personal lives of consumers, according to McAfee researchers. A vulnerability within BoxLock smart padlock enables hackers to unlock the device within a few seconds, and a vulnerability within the Mr. Coffee brand coffee maker with Wemo grants hackers access to home networks.
“Cybercriminals are relentless, and as long as we continue to connect devices to the internet, they will continue to search for ways to exploit them,” said Raj Samani, McAfee fellow and chief scientist. “Vulnerability disclosures can be frightening for both the consumers using connected devices and the organizations that create them, however, the process is an essential component of creating a safer future. Cybersecurity researchers, businesses, and consumers working together to expose and eliminate these vulnerabilities keeps us all a step ahead of the bad guys.”
While there is no way to predict the future of IoT attacks, McAfee offers consumers and businesses tips to ensure devices and data are protected from such vulnerabilities.
3 steps for consumers to protect what matters
- Set-up a secondary network for your IoT devices that doesn’t share access to your primary network and the devices and data connected thereto
- Consider getting a router with built-in security features, making it easier to protect all the devices in your home from one access point
- Set your device to auto-updates so you always have the latest software and be sure to change all default passwords once you purchase a new device
3 steps for businesses to secure customers
- Invest in security early in the development of your products and assume that at some point you will run into a vulnerability that needs to be addressed right away. Be sure to constantly monitor products for potential vulnerabilities and access points for cybercriminals
- Keep all your computers and devices protected by using robust security software that can help safeguard your private information and protect you from threats
- When faced with a vulnerability, be proactive and transparent in addressing the issue, and engage with the security research team for the fastest path to remediation
from Help Net Security – News http://bit.ly/2H6WwJl
As the Internet of Things (IoT) grows and smart devices gain popularity, cybercriminals will continue to find new ways to exploit all connected things. Two new vulnerabilities have been unocovered within connected devices that allow hackers access to the personal lives of consumers, according to McAfee researchers. A vulnerability within BoxLock smart padlock enables hackers […]
Given the pervasiveness of AI and analytics across all aspects of operation, it is not surprising that these are also being applied to to the product recall process. This Deloitte article provides five top tips for implementing this successfully. The headlines are: Do not be overwhelmed by the data Do not wait for ‘perfect’ data Layer […]
DETROIT — Ford is recalling the charging cords for more than 50,000 plug-in hybrid and electric cars in North America because they could cause fires in electrical outlets. The company says the 120-volt cords came with certain 2012 through 2015 Focus electrics and some 2013 through 2015 Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids. Ford […]
Swapit is all about bringing people together. We’ve always been about removing barriers and with this release, Swapit buyers can chat with sellers across 100 different languages. It’s easy, instant, helps sellers close their sale and buyers get what they really want. Update Swapit today: http://get.swapit.la/now We’ve created the easiest way you can imagine, to communicate with someone who […]
Translation phones helping doctors: