The Tesla Model X being road tested at the former naval air station in Alameda, CA.
I was at the skatepark and just happened to notice the Model X being driven on the adjacent runway.
The video was shot with an iPhone 5 while digitally zoomed-in all the way.
Update, Jan 30, 2015, 10:30 PM (PT):
Never thought this video would garnish so much attention. It’s been incredible to see the discussions it has generated here and on every other blog and news outlet that picked it up. Here are a few clarifications.
1. No, I’m am not associated or affiliated with Tesla Motors.
2. Not a PR stunt (at least I’m not a willing participant).
3. No, it isn’t a Prius, nor a Pontiac Aztek.
4. The car was better distinguishable in person. The video shot, with an iPhone, makes it seem farther than what it really was.
5. As stated, the video was shot with an iPhone 5 while digitally zoomed-in all the way. I was able to hold the iPhone steady as I was leaning onto a railing. No stabilizer or mount was used.
6. I have more video and photos, but what I posted pretty much encompasses what was going on.
7. I’m not a spy or part of the paparazzi (as some news outlets have implied). I’m a digital marketing consultant for technology companies. Contact me if you need to improve your company’s web, social and brand strategy to increase sales engagement. (yes, shameless plug).
Some background on what I was doing there:
I happened to be in the area and thought I would stop at the Alameda Skatepark. I figured it would be empty since kids should be in school at 11:30 AM. Upon arrival at the skatepark, I noticed two silver Model S’s parked at the eastern end of the runway. This piqued my curiosity, but there wasn’t any activity — nor anyone with the cars. After a while, while on my board, I would notice from the corner of my eye a car that would drive by slowly on the runway. At first I thought it was a security guard making the rounds since it would come-and-go. So I paid little attention. Plus the vinyl graphics threw me off. What finally caught my full attention was when I noticed it kept accelerating and then braking hard. That’s when I took a closer look and realized what it was.